Optical Network Engineer
|Location:||Fort Meade, MD|
Location: Maryland, 20755
This job will have the following responsibilities:
As part of the Systems Engineering Design Team in DISA’s Transport Engineering Division, provide DISN planning, analysis, engineering to assist the government to modernize the DoD Information Network.
1. Analyze existing and planned DISN transport architectures and recommend appropriate actions or changes for the best alternatives.
2. Provide network designs, trade-off analyses and technical solutions to resolve network transition issues.
3. Define/describe in System Modeling Language (SysML) the DISN transport goal architecture, services, and how DISA will provide, operate, and manage consolidated information system networks and services.
4. Coordinate emerging requirements with user representatives and appropriate DISA staff members, ensuring user requirements and associated milestones are met.
5. Utilize Network Change and Configuration Management (NCCM-R) configuration management tools to update design documentation to reflect the current/future DISN architecture for implementation.
6. Provide appropriate engineering recommendations weekly on engineering designs in accordance with the DISN Technical Evolution Plan (DTEP).
7. Provide recommendations on specific procedures for operating and managing DISN transport; including methodologies associated with cost recovery, administration, and billing.
8. Support transport Government lead Engineer through the development and updating of telecommunications planning documents and models. The planning documents will include Engineering Guide Documents (EGDs), network management plans, requirements analysis, network traffic analysis, engineering planning, network design, financial analysis, network management design, and associated engineering analysis.
9. Utilize SysML as the primary design language (using tools like Magic Draw) and ensure that SysML design changes are reflected in the NCCM-R environment when necessary. The objective state is a machine to machine update of NCCM-R by the SysML model.
10. Provide work breakdown structure, monitor work package completion, and assist in maintaining overall project schedule.
11. Travel with government personnel to attend engineering Technical Exchange Meetings (TEMs), support government project leads at internal/external project management meetings, develop briefing slides for Senior Leadership/project leads, develop white papers and support the development of transport related engineering studies.
Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
A Bachelor degree or equivalent experience, and 7 to 9 years of related experience are required. Excellent communications and analytical skills required. Must be a U.S. citizen and have an ACTIVE Secret security clearance. Position may require local travel.